This post is shamelessly advertising a weekend project.
In a nutshell: WhichPlug.com is a website that tells you what plug you can use in different countries all over the world, relevant frequencies and voltages for the respective countries.
This was a playground project for me to test out JQuery Mobile. It is a framework for making Mobile ready websites fast. The idea came about because I was looking online for a type of plug used in a country (go figure!).
The project was short and sweet:
- Gather data in an excel file with pictures for the plugs.
- Set up a database and build the necessary tables
- Create the queries to extract data that will be used (data strategy)
- Build the website (it’s 1 page in php)
- Skin the website using JQuery Mobile
- Launch and award yourself with a cookie (one that can be dunked in milk)
There are many useful resources on-line, there are probably hundreds of sites and apps that do the same but I didn’t find a simple layout that presented information in a simple way. So I built one instead … for free.
Hope you find the site useful.Tweet
Leave a comment