- Posted: 27 January, 2019
- Category: Travel
Female Solo Travelers
Lately I’ve noticed many female solo travelers, which is amazing!! Personally, I’ve tried. traveling Solo and with friends; my preferred option is to travel with people cause I enjoy having friends and people around me. However, I love solo traveling nonetheless for specific trips and I know many friends as passionate and as crazy as me about travel, doing it frequently and much more than me!
There are few things as liberating and exciting as traveling alone. Traveling solo changed a lot about how I am with myself, and how comfortable I am being alone, with myself. It gave me courage, confidence and good judgement.
“Women underestimate their own abilities. We grow up in a world where powerful, independent, and ambitious women are frowned upon. Does anyone else find that incredibly sad?” – I read this somewhere back in 2015, and at the time, It made sense. Today, I don’t see that people frown upon strong women, I see alot of support for women and especially from our own families and friends.
Why are you scared to travel alone? Don’t underestimate your own abilities, don’t be scared to travel alone.
I encourage each and every girl to travel alone at some point in their lives. At least once!
If you end up not liking solo travel, don’t worry! It’s not for everyone and there is no right and wrong when it comes to traveling styles.
Here are some tips for you, female solo travelers:
- Do your research.
- Always give someone your itinerary – your mom, your friend. No matter where you go, let someone know where you’re at.
- Consider buying a phone card that allows you to make calls from abroad.
- Value experiences: re-prioritize to be able to see as much as possible and get the most out of it.
- Adapt to local dress codes.
- Always carry a copy of your important documents with you.
- Never trust a taxi driver.
- Pack LIGHT.
- Pack a book
- 2 pair of jeans
- Leave high heels at home
- Take enough sanity supply with you
- Have a plan! it is good to know your basic itinerary in advance.
- Be active.
- Join a local tour.
- We all feel shy at times. However, travel is the time to come out of your shell.
- Don’t compare, just enjoy!
- Life is too short, make what makes you happy.
- It’s ok to get lonely sometimes but don’t let it hold you down.
- Try to always stick to bottled water – take care of your health.
- Talk to people you don’t know – Meet new people!
- Prepare and carry with you, a list of emergency contacts.
- Avoid nightlife.
- Always know how to get in touch with the nearest embassy or consulate.
And finally, Stay safe 🙂
Through the blonde abroad travel blog, I am re sharing her list of top 10 safest destinations for solo female travelers:
- New Zealand
- Costa Rica
- A cruise
And from my personal travels I see these places fit to solo travel:
- European cities, Madrid, Barcelona, Rome, Milan, Paris.
- Some cities in the USA
I advise you to get out of your comfort zone, and see the world.