- Posted: 9 May, 2017
- Category: Asia
Hong Kong | Hello965 Friends
About Hong Kong ..
- Hong Kong is a small country in Asia. It was occupied by United Kingdom, Japan and China. It’s a special administrative region of China since 1997 and maintains separate political and economic systems.
- Hong Kong ranks as the world’s fourth most densely populated state and has the second largest number of high rises of any city in the world.
- 13 HK dollar = 1 US dollar (please check the rates online depending on the rate and if you need a more accurate rate)
- The Peninsula Hong Kong is a luxurious hotel with a perfect location in the middle of the famous Tsim Sha Tsui area. It was opened in 1928 and lots of political agreements took place in it.
- Kowloon Shangri-La is also a luxurious hotel in Tsim Sha Tsui but the price is almost half of the price of The Peninsula. We stayed here for 4 nights and we absolutely loved our stay. Clean and spacious rooms and the breakfast buffet is so yummy and has LOTS of variety.
After arriving we took a walk in the lively area of Tsim Sha Tsui where all the high end shops and restaurants are. We then took the night hop-on hop-off bus tour for 45 minutes to see the even more beautiful city at night. The cost of the night tour is 270 HK dollars/person. Later we explored the famous shopping landmark called 1881 Heritage and had our dinner there.
Honk Kong is not just about modern life and high rises. It also has a natural beauty that will take your breath away. Around 45 minutes by taxi from our hotel we reached Stanley town. A very beautiful town with a nice sea view and small coffee shops where you can relax, walk, take a boat trip and enjoy your time. Stanley market is a must visit when in HK. You will find cheap and nice souvenirs and clothes there.
After spending the day in Stanley we took a taxi to Hong Kong Times Square for a night walk and some shopping. Ladies shouldn’t miss the shopping in Hong Kong. There you can find a variety of good and products for all kind of budgets. It’s a shopping paradise 🙂
If your time in Hong Kong is limited and you just can visit either Ocean Park or Disneyland then defiantly go for Ocean Park. It is a HUGE park with lots of rides that are suitable for kids and adults. It also has a small zoo with cute pandas! It is a very happy place where you get to spend at least 4 hours there.
In the morning we went to The Peak by taxi. We could go up by tram but the line was very long and we didn’t want to wait. We went down from the peak by the tram because the waiting line was bearable and at least moving. The Peak shows an amazing view of the city. There is a small shopping mall there and some kids activities. The best part was the tram experience which should not be missed.
Less than 10 minutes walking from the tram station you can reach Hong Kong Zoological and Botanical Gardens. It is a nice place for a walk and for the kids to see the monkeys, different types of birds and enjoy the colorful gardens.
At night we took the 1 hour Star Ferry trip in Victoria Harbor. A good way to relax and enjoy the great view of the high rises at night. I really recommend this trip more than the night Hop-On Hop-Off bus tour. Locations the bus will take you in 45 minutes you can easily reach them by foot if your hotel is in Tsim Sha Tsui but the ferry ride shows the night beauty of the city much better. The cost of this tour is 180 HK dollars.
Our flight back home was in the afternoon so we decided to visit Kowloon Park in the morning. It is a big public park that is perfect for walking or exercising. It has different types of birds that kids can enjoy watching. It also has small ice-cream shops and a nice lake with flamingo birds.
We were planning to visit the Big Buddha in Lantau Island but the teleferic was under construction from January until July which means we will not experience the best part of the trip and it will take longer time from and to HK Island.
Food & Restaurants:
- Aqua Roma Aqua Tokyo & Aqua Sprit is a Japanese Italian restaurant that has an amazing view of the city. You should book in advance and better to have dinner there to enjoy the view. It requires a minimum charge of 500 HK dollars/person.
- Try the famous street food Dim Sum. So yummy but first ask about the ingredients as it might contain something you don’t eat.
- Try the egg tart in Tai Cheong Bakery or any other bakery around the harbor
- Try the flat white in N1 Coffee and Co
- If you or your kids are fans of Morocco cartoon character, there is a café called Izumi Curry in Mira Mall in Tsim Sha Tsui with Morocco and her entire family characters. You will enjoy your coffee there!
Finally, Weather and Transportation
We were there in the first week of April; the weather was pleasant with no rain and average temperature of 22 ˚C. it is also recommended to visit Hong Kong from October to January.
The most convenient way of transportation is taxies in Hong Kong. Although subways are available but not practical because there are only few lines, not very frequent and you reach your destination much faster by the taxi. I have noticed that there is no much difference in price between the subway and the taxi for 4 travelers. Buses are also available but slow.
Thank you Hello965 Friend @360voyage ♡