- Posted: 5 October, 2018
- Category: Asia, Destinations
Timor Leste Three Days Guide تيمور الشرقيه
Timor-Leste, or East Timor, a Southeast Asian nation occupying half the island of Timor, is ringed by coral reefs teeming with marine life. Landmarks in the capital, Dili, speak to the country’s struggles for independence from Portugal in 1975 and then Indonesia in 2002. The iconic 27m-tall Cristo Rei de Dili statue sits on a hilltop high over the city, with sweeping views of the surrounding bay. [Wikipedia]
I spent two nights (three days) in Dili, the capital of Timor!
Timor Leste is what I’d call an undiscovered destination! Very original, very untouched, tourism revolves around its independence as it is definitely a story to tell.
One highlight i’ll need to put out there, In Timor Leste, I’ve seen the most magical sunset I got to see in ages!!
During my visit there, we’ve encountered a national celebration where almost everything was closed. We did not expect the boat rides/trips to be closed too so some of our plans hence got changed and cancelled. Hence, my tip would be: if you don’t have much time to spare, plan ahead. If you don’t really care and all you want to do is walk around and explore, then you don’t need to plan ahead. Simple!
Lets keep this short, here’s a list of things to do for three days:
- Cristo Rei
- Chega museum
- Santa Cruz cemetery
- the Xanana Cultural Centre, which showcases a collection of photographs and paintings of Timorese resistance fighter and politician Xanana Gusmão
- Local craft market where women practise the traditional arts of fabric- and basket-weaving.
- Aeria Branca beach (where I sat and watched sunset, also the pic of the swing above)
- Other beaches: Fatucama Beach, Cristo Rei Beach
This would definitely be enough for 2 nights just like I did. If you have more time and would like to spend more time in Timor Leste (and outside of the Capital), I came across so many itineraries online as well as great tours on websites like viator and others.